The top 10, the big 1-0, the 10 essential items that every woman should have in her closet to create everyday looks and spur of the moment outfits. This list will give you the essentials you need to create classic, ever-lasting looks. There is some lee-way on these items, so make sure you choose ones that hone to your own personal style. Also, these are the basics to have in your closet, and most of these items will last you a lifetime. So, in saying that, don’t be afraid to invest in some (or all) of these pieces… it’ll be worth it!
1. The White Button Down Shirt – Think Audrey Hepburn in Roman Holiday; This classic shirt can be worn with anything! From a colorful mini skirt, to dark skinny jeans, this is a basic go to shirt that can be styled differently every time you wear it. It is one of the most chic, versatile and sophisticated items in a woman’s closet that will always add a little oomph to your look, even when you’re in a hurry.
2. The Knit Sweater – You can go for a cardigan or a simple pull-over sweater, either way they are a staple for chilly days in the Spring and Fall, and can add the right pop of color to any outfit in an instant. Sweaters are also a great way to dress up a look; Pair a colored cardigan with jeans or a skirt, put a skinny belt over the cardigan, and add heels for instant perfection.
3. The Perfect Jean – Everyone has an idea of their perfect jean; Mine are a pair of medium-dark rinse skinny jeans that are easy to get on, and fit easily into my boots. Take the time to find the right pair for you, it’s really worth the effort. Whether you like to wear skinny jeans with flats, or a bootcut pair with heels, the right pair can make you instantly feel confident, sexy and stylish.
4. The Leather Jacket – This is where you can let your secret rocker come out. Leather jackets are a great layer for the Fall and Spring months when the weather is changing, and it allows for multiple looks. You can pair your jacket with jeans and biker boots for a classic day look, or if you’re feeling bold, wear it over a dress or ball gown for an evening look. For the office, try fitting it with tailored pants for a cheeky, unexpected get-up.
5. The “Carry All” Bag – Sometimes… who are we kidding… all of the time, you just need a bag that you can fit your life into while still making it look chic. Go for a structured satchel bag with minimal hardware in a universal leather color that’ll ease right into your closet. This one from Mulberry or this one from Furla are two of my top picks.
6. The Comfortable Ballet Flat – No woman’s closet is complete without a pair or two of ballet flats. They’re great for weekends and days off, and a great alternative to pumps when you can swing it. Make sure they’re comfortable; there’s nothing worse than buying flats that dig into the back of your heels and make you uncomfortable for the rest of the day. These flats from J.Crew are hands down the best flats I have ever owned… I tend to swear by them.
7. The Classic Blazer – I could not live without my blazer. It’s one of those staple pieces that can instantly sharpen and spruce up your look. During the day, I like to wear my blazer with skinny pants and a silk shirt, and then pair it with a tank and fun mini skirt for a night out. Either way, it adds a sexy-sharpness to any outfit.
8. The Trench Coat – Where else could you go but Burberry for this one? As I mentioned in a previous post, Burberry is pretty much master of the trench coat. This is an investment piece that will truly last you a lifetime, so don’t feel so guilty about spending the money on a coat that you will get a lot of wear out of. Plus, it pretty much goes with any outfit.
9. The Perfect LBD – There are a variety of styles that you can choose from to fit not only your body type but also your personal style. However, I don’t think you could go wrong with choosing a black bandage dress from Hervé Léger. The flawless construction of the dress will hug the body in all the right places and will serve as the sexy centerpiece of your outfit. It’s also great to have on hand for a last-minute date or event. Take the classic route with black pumps and your favorite jewels, or kick it up a notch with a fur vest and some edgy sandals.
10. The Best Underpinnings – No woman can be equipped without them. I can’t tell you how much of a pet-peeve I have with women wearing bras that don’t even fit them. Take the time to get measured and find the right bra, it makes all the difference. Wearing the right underpinnings will make you feel sexy, chic and confident, even if it’s hidden.